Sunday, January 17, 2010

GRRRRRR! A " fashion rules" rant.....

There's something about the phrase " fashion rules " that gets me all hot around the collar and makes me bristle.

To me, Fashion is a means of self- expression. When you police it, temper it, repress it by having rules.... well, then what you get is everybody dressing and looking like everybody else ....which in my opinion is total crapola!

If Picasso, Chanel, Van gogh, Yves St Laurent followed rules.... where would we be? See? I told you I have strong feelings on the subject!!!

Garance Dore and Scott Schuman, The Sartorialist, were in Brazil and took some lovely photos of some really lovely Brazilian girls. I read some of the comments and I guess that triggered this rant!

One of the recurring themes in the comments was that leather bags are for winter and canvas/ cloth bags are for summer. My jaw dropped from the sheer ignorance of that comment. See? Can you feel my blood pressure rising?

Obviously, people who make comments like these live in 4 season countries and have no empathy for their 360 days of summer sisters! I mean this is as bad as saying "No white after labor day" and "no mini skirts after 35" ( hear that Demi and Madonna? What say you?).

Learning about and embracing all sorts of fashion perspectives is what Garance and Scott do with their photos and it's what I love about their work. THey don't judge, they just document.

So, to the judgey-judge fashion rule enforcers out there, here's what I have to say on the subject:

Till you walk a mile in another person's Havaianas, you can't judge her!




Okay, now on to this photo by Scott of this very chic brazilian lady and her leather bag! I HEART her scarf and panama hat combo!!!!!!!HEART!



I am stealing the look of this girl , shot by Garance, packing up after a day in the Ipanema beach. Tousled Chignon, pearl earrings, floaty white dress and white Havaianas..... Perfection!




Hope you are having a great Sunday! Are you out there? Let me me know what you think about the " leather bags only for cold weather" rule?


XOXO,
sassy

4 comments:

  1. OMG !!!! Is this for real???? are those people serious??? Where have they been living? The STONE AGE??? Wilma Flinstone is that you???? I have a feeling those people don't have any fashion sense, they need to take FASHION 101, ASAP !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fashion is truly an expression !and i totally agree with you that those people live in 4 season countries..... and no taste in FASHION , darling, do ask Mr. Webster what FASHION means .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad if you can't wear pretty things based on where you live! We can't wear coats, and woolen tights and lovely knitted scarves, must you take away our leather bags too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that birkin.The blue matches the turquoise of the brazilian SUMMER skies. And that outfit would have looked great with blue Havaianas too!

    ReplyDelete