Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Review: My Brazilian Keratin Blow-Out



It's been three months since I went to see Cedric at Le Papillon to get a Brazilian Blow-out and this is my story....

I'm a wash and wear kind of gal. Blow-drying my hair is a giant bore, so I never do it. I have fine, generally straight (with some wave in it) and very temperamental hair. Everyday, for almost my whole life, I leave the house with a wet ponytail. Even in the middle of winter! But when I moved to Singapore, I just got so tired of either having my hair up in a ponytail all the time or looking like an alley cat lay sleeping on my head because of the humidity! Right when I had had enough of Bad Hair Days, Garance Dore blogged that a Brazilian Blow-out changed her life.... So, I decided to take the plunge and get a Brazilian Blow-out myself!

First, I did a little online research. The Pros, the Cons, logistics, health hazards, maintenance, etc.

Then, I called Cedric and asked him 7 times if the Keratin he uses has any carcinogenic formalin or formaldehyde ( he said no). Also, I like having surfer girl hair occasionally, so I asked him 5 times if my hair will become pin-straight for the next few months (he said no). Satisfied, I booked myself an appointment.

The whole process took about 5 hours. The first hour of that was spent reassuring me that formalin or it's sister, formaldehyde were not chemical components of his treatment. Then, he washed my hair super thoroughly, blow- dried it and then painted the keratin on to my hair. After letting it sit for a few hours ( well, it felt like a few hours), he meticulously ironed my hair section by section. The chemicals made my eyes water uncontrollably and I began asking about formaldehyde fumes again. Cedric patiently smiled at me.

After the treatment, my hair was shiny, pin straight and super soft. A brand new look!

As I left the salon, armed with special shampoo ( sulfate free), conditioner and hair treatment, Cedric told me to procure a flat iron. I had to flat iron my hair twice a day for the next 4 days. I also could not wash my hair, exercise, sweat or get my hair wet in any way , shape or form. This became my excuse for not leaving the house, doing the dishes or laundry and thusly, I caught up with all the Real Housewives of New York episodes I had missed!

When I washed my hair again, my hair dried straight ( NOT PIN STRAIGHT) with nary a frizz in sight. Now, when I do blow-dry my hair, it takes me half the time (so it's not too painfully boring) and my hair still has body and wave. It's been three months and my hair is definitely getting wavier, but if I want it super smooth, I just flat iron it in 5 minutes.

As you know, the Brazilian Blow-out isn't a permanent treatment. It only lasts for 4 to 6 months. When my time is up, I'll definitely go back! I'm having too much fun being frizz- free!

Although, guess what? Turns out...it's too hot here for my hair not to be up in a ponytail everyday anyway!


XOXO,
sassy

6 comments:

  1. i use dry shampoos and i do like them because they work well on my hair texture. doesn't feel greasy. i can't remember the name of it at the moment though!

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great idea! I never feel squeaky clean with the non sulphate shampoo. I guess because it doesn't suds up. I will try the dry shampoo in between shampoo days. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just did it too - love it! But they made me wear goggles when ironing and it scared me :)

    I was told I could shampoo after two days and NOT to use a hair iron - hairdryer on cold setting or even a plain old electric fan will do. He also said I could exercise. Shoot, no excuses for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!only 2 days downtime and no hair iron? Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get this done in singapore? Which salon did you go to??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruchi! I had mine done by Cedric at Le Papillon Salon. He was the only one I could find in Singapore that did it at that time. Maybe there are more Salons that do it now? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete