Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Perfume Review: Escentric Molecule 01

Okay, so you may not know this about me but I cyberstalk/ diligently seek out articles about my favorite fashion inspirations...
A few months back, I came across an interview of the ever-fabulous Giovanna Battaglia wherein she revealed that the perfume she uses is called Escentric Molecules  and it's from a little  German perfume company. What's that? I had never heard of it. I'm usually  a Jo Malone/ Miller Harris kinda girl..... but goshdarnit! if I can't have Gio's body/wardrobe/style, I can have her scent! So after  hours of extensive research and numerous futile phone calls around Singapore, I buckled down and ordered some samples from http://www.luckyscent.com/ .
While most perfumes have an armlong list of ingredients, Escentric Molecules is 65% made of  ISO E SUPER. This is  the usual synthetic base component of most perfumes, but Escentric molecule 01 has it in the highest concentration.
The  bottomline on write-ups of this perfume is , and to paraphrase Giovanna Battaglia's comments, Escentric Molecules is  like wearing a pheromone. People want to sit closer to you, guys go wild, girls stop you in the street to ask what perfume you are wearing, etc etc. So, I had high expectations
Now,  some people say it smells chemically, some people talk about  a woodsy sillage  and  a fresh basenote.... I can't really tell you if I agree or disagree with whatever has been said because I can't smell the darned thing! It is the emperor's new clothes of perfume to me! So,  I'll just have to tell you  how the people around me experienced it. Consider this:
Normally, when I walk past J after spritzing perfume, he goes into a coughing fit and grabs tissues to wipe his tearing eyes ( even if it's just Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud which is the gentlest of scents).This time..... well, let's just say it wasn't  the tissue he grabbed.
Furthermore, Hugo, the Havaianas hound , insisted on sitting on my lap all morning. The grumpy lady at our favorite Chinese restaurant even grabbed my arm to sit me down and was all smiles. I  think I was this close to getting a free egg tart even! The delivery boy was actually "sniffing" the air but due to the language barrier, I couldn't ask him what he thought. But Wow!  If the purpose of a perfume is to attract, seduce, subjugate... then, this stuff really works! I have never had that type of reaction to any perfume I ever wore!!
Now it's not cheap, and I'm going to have to repurpose one of those mason jars I'm recycling into a piggybank so I can save up for a whole bottle but ... like The Emperor's New Clothes, I am parading this scent through town, baby!

XOXO,
sassy


6 comments:

  1. sassy, you have convinced me to try this! thank you for your fabulous review.


    xo
    kellina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kellina! Thank you for the sweet words:) You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now i want to try too ...... thinking .... thinking ..... SOLD !!!!!! now i have to order myself some samples....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! Order the samples first and try it out because I read that different skin types, different effects!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought it today...lets see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete