Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pedal Pushers......

My mom considered biking highly unladylike behavior when I was growing up.
" If you fall and get scars as big as quarters on your legs, you'll never win Miss Universe ", was the admonishment given to me when I begged for a bike for my 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th birthdays.

I was 9 years old when I heard a story about my grandmother, Amona Maria, biking to her own wedding in a wedding dress made of white bedsheets during the Spanish civil war . That story made me realize that: A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!



So, I unearthed a rusty 2 wheeler bike from before I was born (reject of an American cousin I had never met). With one hand holding on to the garage wall and one hand steering, I went back and forth for hundreds of times until I learned how to balance. Then , I let go.... and pedalled so fast I felt like I was flying!!!

As a reward for my sheer determination, and probably fear of my getting tetanus, my pops replaced the 1960's clunker with the most beautiful metallic blue cruiser with a seat in the back and a wire basket.

My mom was right. From that day on, I threw myself with wild abandon into the most unladylike activities imaginable: Trying to pop a wheelie in my brother's BMX, jumping over canals, getting gashes and scars as big as the map of Africa (this is clearly the only reason why I never joined the Miss Universe pageant!hahaha!).

I will never feel as free and fast and fearless as when I was ten years old on my blue cruiser....


These days, I ride a Dahon foldable bike by the beach in the East Coast park.



I wish I had bikes like these when mini-sassy was a toddler:
The Madsen cargo Bike....



The Taga Bike....



Lela Rose's custom-made Tricycle....








I think I need this helmet! It has accessories:)



I also like chic panniers....



Right now I have a snap-on wicker basket like this...



Some girls bike in heels.....



Some girls bike in vintage skirts....



I like to bike in my Havaianas:)






XOXO,
sassy

(image: via thesartorialist, jak&jil, kellygreen, cyclechic, cupofjo, marieclaire)

2 comments:

  1. Ask sis-in-law P about getting scars on knees and not being Miss Toledo. She cried buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! The answers in the Q&A portion should be important than scar-free legs! hahaha! How's London Town, M?

    ReplyDelete