Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thinking Green...






My father is a green thumb. He just harvested the sweetest, juiciest tomatoes you'll ever taste this side of the equator. His father before him cultivated roses as big as your palm! I'm sure his grandfather and great-grandfather had a strong connection to the land, as well.

I have grown up with romantic notions of vegetable patches and flower gardens and I love all things horticultural but sadly, I have not inherited an iota of the botanically-friendly genes.

I can annihilate plants with just one look.


But I have been longing for an indoor fig tree , like the third picture above.....

So, I called up my Pops to ask for his advice. He says there is no secret to gardening. You just need:

1. Patience- I'm buying a full-grown plant so I can skip this part!haha!
2. Sunshine- Okay, we've got lots of sun in Singapore!
3. Water/ Food- Aha! that's where I get into trouble. I always forget to water the plants and put fertilizer pellets! But never fear! That's why God invented post-its. I shall leave reminders all around the house and we should be okay!

And lastly,

4. Love- My pops has the heart of a poet, so EVERYTHING has to be done with LOVE- from cooking a paella , to dancing, to building a playhouse, to repairing a tractor engine!

But you know what? It reminded me... if everything I did, big and small, I did with LOVE, my life would be SO much fuller and so much more fun!!!

gracias, papa!



XOXO,
sassy

(image: elle decor)

3 comments:

  1. So many things to say about this post Sassy!
    First, your pops sounds like such a dear and someone everyone can learn something from. We need more pops like him!
    Second, I'm inspired and hope to build a play treehouse one day - with love of course.
    Third, those tomatoes... yum, I can almost taste them!
    And last, I'm redecorating and I have a wall that will look exactly like the first picture (I hope!). A little plant will be the perfect finishing touch - can I call on your pops to take care of it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He would love that, Pat pat! Ask him to send you some tomatoes too coz I have a summer pasta recipe that you are going to love!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some from him in my fridge!!!! Send me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete